Personal Tax Returns
WHY HAVE YOUR RETURN PREPARED BY US?
- I have 25 years of experience preparing personal income tax returns for Canadians;
- Past returns will be reviewed at no additional cost;
- Returns are prepared using the most advanced, professional software available, ensuring that all the right tax deductions and credits are claimed and data entry errors are minimized;
- We will give your returns the time it deserves to be correctly completed. We will not rush the completion of your return;
- We are conscious of the impact our practice has on the environment, especially when it comes to creating paper for our files. Our policies stress a less-paper environment. In many instances, returns are prepared with ten (10) 8½ x 11½ pieces of paper being created by the office;
- We insist on meeting with you so that any questions you have can be answered thoroughly to your satisfaction before you sign your return. You can arrange your meetings to fit your schedule online or by calling our office. We will even come to your place for your convenience;
- Keeping up with changes to the Income Tax Act is important and to that end, no less than sixteen (16) hours are spent in a structured environment learning about tax law, budget and administrative changes that directly affect you;
- The privacy and confidentiality of your information is important to us;
- You will get a copy of your full return in PDF format, accessed through our fully encrypted (both the transmission and storage of files are encrypted) client portal;
- Why don't you charge $30, $50 or $80 per return because I see signs for those prices in around my neighbourhood? Doing tax preparation for others is not a hobby. It is serious business so much so that one main reason accountants are sued is due to tax preparation issues.
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR MEETING
(in addition to your tax information)
- Completed tax questionnaire (found at the bottom of this page)
- A copy of last year's tax return as a minimum, three (3) years is preferred
- Copies of your notice of (re-) Assessments for those years
- Completed tax questionnaires we mailed (or emailed) you, noting any updated information
- A copy of last years notice of (re-) Assessment
What will happen at your meeting:
- Start your file (new clients)
- We will have you sign the following:
- T1013 to authorize me as an account representative (new clients)
- Engagement letter
- Foreign Income Questionnaire
- Prior years returns and assessments will be looked over
- We will go over the information you brought in, making sure deductions and credits are substantiated
- Tax information (T-slips, RRSP contributions, summaries, etc.) will be scanned and entered into the tax program; all original documents will be returned to you
- Working papers will be created (as required)
- We will request from CRA to provide us confirmation of applicable tax information and to provide us with missing information (if applicable)
- Any possible optimizations will be explored
- The tax return will be reviewed for keying errors and other errors that may affect the filing of the return
- Summaries will be prepared to discuss with you (what if scenarios may be explored at your request and for an additional charge)
- Once you are satisfied with the return, you will sign off on it, and it will be filed with the CRA
- An archive copy of the return will be made available to you on our client portal
Preparing your tax return is a solemn responsibility, not a hobby, and our pricing reflects the care and due diligence required to complete your tax return.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION FOR EXPENSE AND TAX CREDIT CLAIMES
We prepare returns following the Income Tax Act (ITA). We do not create loopholes or prepare returns with expenses and tax credits that do not have supporting documentation.
The CRA requires:
- Logbooks or an acceptable alternative when claiming vehicle expenses when you use your vehicle;
- Receipts or vendor invoices (not credit card confirmations) when claiming business or employment expenses;
- When claiming employment expenses, you must have a T2200 completed and signed by your employer;
- Receipts from providers when requesting childcare, attendant care, moving expense deductions and more.
We do not audit your tax returns; YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING DOCUMENTATION TO SUPPORT EXPENSES, DEDUCTIONS & TAX CREDITS YOU CLAIM. Be sure to bring in all your receipts and the summaries to your meeting because not bringing them in will delay the completion of your tax return.
SETTING UP A MEETING
We offer a new online appointment scheduling service (or if you prefer, you can call us to schedule a meeting, we still enjoy the sound of your voice).
To book online follow these steps:
- If the applet below has an error, please call us at 403.269.2662
- Select the month and day that interests you
- Select an available time that works for you
- Complete the form with your name, cell phone number (for receiving text reminders), email address and any other information that is asked
- Confirm your meeting, and you will get an email with a link so you can update your calendar and make changes if necessary
- You should receive an email reminder 24 hours before the meeting.
- Show up for your meeting; we will have coffee, tea and water available
Client Tax Organizer
A tax organizer can facilitate the process of pulling together your tax information. This basic tax organizer is designed for new clients and allows you to enter your information right on the screen. You can then print the completed tax organizer and fax or mail it to the office.
Quick Reference Charts
These convenient charts provide current "at-a-glance" information about tax rates applicable to individuals and businesses.